Saturday, April 3, 2010

To teach or not to teach

that is the question of the day. I was just asked this morning if I would like to teach scrapbooking classes as AC Moore again and I'm not sure if I should. Trying to weigh the pros against the cons.
The pros: 1) I've taught there before...both beginning scrapbooking and layout classes ...2) I enjoyed teaching..... 3) it's extra income..this is the biggie for me....I can set the cost of the class and I keep the full class fee....4) good experience...teaching there could help me get better teaching jobs elsewhere

The cons: 1) lots of preparation involved ...have to make a class summary sheet, coordinate the dates of classes, make a materials list, make a class sample, etc. ....2) teaching would take time away from my own scrapping...3) have to use only AC Moore product...which can be tricky sometimes...especially now that they are changing that department over ....4) last time I taught there was very little promotion for the classes ...no promotion equals little or no students.
Part of me really wants to do it because I have lots of great ideas for classes and I think I would really enjoy it once the classes get going but I know in the beginning there is a lot of grunt work involved and that it will take a while to build a base of students. My biggest concerns are things I have no control over...the class promotion and scheduling. The last time the class promotion was weak to say the least...I'd make class samples and they would get stuck in a place where noone would see them...I asked to have signage in the scrapbooking department and that never happened....and since its a larger store...promotion is key. The other big problem is the class schedule...the Wilton cake classes get top choice on the schedule of classes and they usually take the best time slots so of course that leaves just a few random slots open for anything else AC Moore wants to offer. I did talk to the woman today who asked me to come and teach and she said they are trying to do better promotion but I don't thing a posterboard hung 25 feet above the shopping carts is really going to be seen by too many people.
I've got some time to mull it over ...she's supposed to call me in a week or so to follow up...got to say at this point I'm leaning towards no....unless of course I can negotiate and get them to throw in the employee discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment