Sunday, April 11, 2010

Good to last scrap

So Friday night I sat down to play with this really super cute kit my friend Meg sent me as part of the doubles swap I'm doing....



Wasn't quite sure what to do with it when I first got it...the kit was really great but outside my norm so I was a little stumped. Was a little baffled by the colors and patterns...separately I liked them all...together they were overwhelming me ...my brain couldn't process how to put them together...decided the best course of action was to divide and conquer...I picked my favorite pattern..the yellow one...and the really strong teal cardstock and went from there. Luckily I was able to dig up some old photos of my daughter I hadn't scrapped that went perfect with the colors.

By the end of the night I had finished one LO...



Busted out the acrylic paint for the title letters so they would work with the LO...which I knew I would have to do when I saw the kit...I never have much luck with those multicolor packs of letters...always one letter in the wrong color and super picky me just can't have that...matchy matchy is way more my style. Lucky for me one of the papers in the kit was all borders...I heart borders... so I was able to cut out the fun orange one for this LO. Had some epoxy dots that I wasn't sure what to do with but I ended up using a large one for the dot in the title and used the little multicolor ones for fun flower centers.
So after I did this LO I still had tons left from this kit to use so Saturday I decided to see what else I could create...this time I decided to focus on the brown patterned paper, the softer colors and the large chipboard butterfly to make another LO and this is what I came up with...


Again I had to go way back to find photos that worked...luckily both my kids did field trips to the butterfly conservatory when they were younger ...decided the colors in my sons pictures worked better for this LO than my daughters. Used my trusty martha stewart butterfly punch to make the really cool butterflies from the brown patterned paper...love how they came out. Spent about an hour playing with the large chipboard butterfly to use as an accent on this LO...totally loved how it came out...but it didn't work with the LO so I had to try something different...so instead I traced around it onto some of the teal cardstock from LO #1 and handcut the details with my cutterbee knife...which looked much better. Used more of the borders including a piece of yellow to make the tag and the notebook edge.
So once I finished that LO I still had that really cool chipboard butterfly that I spent all that time on and I really wanted to use it so I decided to make a card...



Isn't that butterfly cool? Used lots of different inks to get the final effect. As for the card itself...it took forever...card making is so not my forte. Luckily my late night chat buddy Em hooked me up with a link for some cool card sketches and some much needed inspiration. Even though this one was a total PITA to make...being the glutton for punishment that I am I decided to make some more and see how much of the scraps from this kit I could use up...
so I made this card...



Cute right! The little strip of flowers was a scrap from the first LO...glad I kept it ....it was perfect for a card.
Since this card went so well..
I made another...




Totally love how this card came out...the back of one of the papers was actually a soft mint green so I was able to use that a lot for accents...I punched the butterflies out the mint green and then inked them to make them bolder. So pretty.
so since by this time it was only midnight I decided to make another...



This one was a bomb...not happy with it at all...I really wanted to use the velvet paper Meg sent in the kit and I had the hardest time with it and I'm afraid I didn't really do it justice. Oh well..win some..lose some...
but even after this failure...
I made another....



Fun and simple...played with more of the borders...ran it through my crimper...after I dusted it off that is....haven't used that thing in ages...but some of those old tools are so fun to play with once and while.

still had more stuff left so
I made another...



Decided to use that bold brown pattern straight up this time...totally love it...painted some more letters for the sentiment and to make them extra fun I stickled the heck out of them.
At this point it was about 1:30 a.m. and I had very slim pickings left but I managed to get one more card done out of the scrap pile... but this one you only get a sneak peak of...I figured out how to make something really cool and I don't want to share it just yet....I'll post the rest of it tomorrow...trust me it will be worth the wait.




As for the kit...the scrappy math works out like this...1 kit = 2 LO's + 7 cards and the only remainders were some random letters, 3 epoxy stickers and a small square of velvet paper. Pretty darn good if I do say so myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment