Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 5 - 2 more cards

So here I am again...day 5... talking about the same things again...alcohol inks and vellum....yawn. Seriously big yawn. And no that is not a big "OMG 5 days of the same old stuff this is so boring" yawn...it's actually a big "I'm so exhausted cause I've been spending way too many hours playing with this cool stuff" yawn. Seriously I'm whooped! LOL. By the time I'm done with this series I'm going to need a nice long nap! That is if I can get my brain to stop churning up ideas long enough to get some sleep. Seriously I have vellum on the brain. This morning I was watching the Today show and saw a screen in the back of the host with an image and I was like "Oh snap! that is so cool! I could totally do that with alcohol inks and vellum!" ...so now of course I will have to try and see if I can do it and if it's a success I will probably have to add yet another day to this series. At this rate I am going to run out of vellum long before I run out of ideas. LOL. Anyways enough about projects I am dreaming about and projects I will post in the future...let's talk about today's projects.
Today I have 2 cards ...and of course they both have alcohol inks and vellum...but today they are both heavy on the 3rd element I am supposed to be working with this week...texture...betcha you almost forgot that my inspiration this week was supposed to be vellum, alcohol ink and TEXTURE since I've spent so much time on the first 2. But I didn't forget...actually since the day I pulled the slips from my inspiration jar the first ideas I had for projects had more to do with texture and vellum than alcohol inks. Ironic huh...especially considering I haven't posted anything much at all with texture but can't stop obsessing over alcohol inks. Anyways I was really excited about the texture thing because way back when when I worked at ACMoore I remembered a program we had for embossing vellum...it was called Pergamano. Basically you used a stylus and a stencil to emboss the vellum which would turn a bright white where ever it was embossed...I remember it looked really pretty but I had no real interest in it at the time so I didn't know much about it. So not actually knowing how to do it I decided to just jump in and try it. Well I tried and for the most part I failed. Every time I tried to emboss the vellum would rip ...grrr. I could do small bits of embossing...like the bubbles on my fishbowl card...but anything bigger was an epic fail. So totally frustrated I decided to google the technique and found the answer to my problem along with some super mega amazing projects using this technique....seriously if you have some free time go to youtube and put in pergamano in the search and prepared to be amazed..I spent a ton of time checking them out. Anyways thanks to the videos I was able to find out why my attempts were failing...I was working on the wrong stuff. See I was trying to emboss on vellum when what is really needed for this technique is vellum's beefy cousin...parchment... it looks the same but is much heavier. So after I discovered that little bit of helpful info I knew full scale embossing was out but I wasn't ready to give up on adding texture to my vellum so rather than embossing with a stencil and a stylus I turned to my only/fave embossing folder...swiss dot...to see if that would do the trick and it did!! Hooray! So I embossed a bunch of vellum and got to creating and here's what I made...
Card #1 ...Winter Scene


As soon as I embossed the vellum the first thing I thought of was how much it looked like a snowy sky so I knew right away the first thing I'd be making would be a snow scene. I played around with what to put behind the vellum and decided on a darker dusky bluish purple cardstock...totally love how it looked but decided I wanted to add a tad more detail to the sky so I added some depth to the sky by painting on the back of the vellum ...love the end result and here's how to make it... Step 1..emboss vellum with Swiss Dot folder ..Step 2...turn vellum over and with a large brush lightly brush the back of the vellum with eggplant and denim alcohol inks to create some striations, let dry...Step 3...spray ink side of vellum with spray adhesive and mount to a piece of blue cardstock, being careful not to press on the embossing....Step 4...using a piece of felt, dab alcohol ink around border of embossed piece...Step 5....cut hills out of white cardstock and embellish with stickles, let dry and then adhere to card...Step 6...add twine (shown is lilac twine from the twinery) and card sentiment (my sentiment is a very old embellishment from junkitz...you could stamp a sentiment on piece of cardstock and punch 2 holes on the end to get the same look) ...Step 7... spray the back of a piece of green vellum, layer it over a piece of patterned paper and cut out a tree (I used my sizzix tree die to cut mine), use white paint and glitter to add snow, let dry and adhere to card as shown...Step 8 ...add snowflake embellishments...Step 8...adhere design to card blank.
Super simple and super cute. Although I gotta say I really didn't feel comfortable doing a let it snow card in September...I hope mother nature gets that this card was in no way an invitation to her to bring the dreaded white stuff .... seriously cannot stress enough after last winter how much I do not in anyway want to encourage any snow... unless of course it's December 24th...then it's ok but that's the only exception...and even then it better all melt by December 27th! So since the snow card was giving me the willies just thinking about it I switched gears and made a beautiful spring card because as soon as fall ends I will be counting down the days until spring arrives!! Seriously...I will!
Card #2 - Spring Flowers



So pretttty! I will definitely be making more of these cards. Can never have too many thank you cards. Anyways here's how to make this card...Step 1...emboss a piece of vellum with Cuttlebug Swiss dot embossing folder...Step 2...Using pieces of felt dab alcohol inks on the top of the embossed surface using Meadow, Lettuce and Citrus...working from the corner out, alternating colors as you apply, being careful not to press too hard on embossing...Step 3...spray back of embossed vellum and mount to card blank, trim as needed...Step 4 ..on a piece of vellum (unembossed) use pieces of felt to dab one area with cranberry ink and another area in eggplant ink, let dry...Step 5...once dry, punch flowers from cranberry and eggplant painted vellum...Step 6...using glue dots, adhere vellum flowers and add pearl centers (mine are from queen & co.) and pull flower petals forward a bit to add dimension...Step 7...Stamp card sentiment on white cardstock, cut to size and mount to patterned paper and cut to size, adhere sentiment to card and add bee embellishment and your done! Another super simple but wicked pretty card.
Stop by again tomorrow cause the fun continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment