So life has returned to normal tonight...as normal as the life of a mom can be anyways...so now that last night's chaos is behind me it's time to get back to posting projects. Woohoo! If you've missed my previous posts this week I'll recap...today is day 3 (sort of ;) ) in my series of projects using alcohol inks, vellum and texture.
Day 3's project...a layout. Technique wise this layout is nothing spectacular ... but while it lacks in technique it's still a pretty darn cute layout thanks in part to the adorable (yet annoying) subject ...just one of the many crafty ingenious squirrels that manages to outwit our every attempt to keep the birdfood out of their greedy little paws. Darn squirrels. But it's not the pesky little thief who is the real highlight of this layout...nope that honor goes to some pretty amazing vellum...more specifically the totally awesome pink woodgrain vellum I used for my background...totally just love it. I also have it in lime green and it's just as awesome.
The paper was just perfect for this layout for obvious reasons...first it's awesome...which I already mentioned...but second it's woodgrain...so perfect for a layout about a birdhouse in a tree. So using the awesome vellum as a jumping off point for this layout I just had to select a coordinating cardstock...which turned out to be quite the dilemna...had to decide between several shades of pink all of which I liked ...finally just had to let my friend pick ...so if you don't like the color you can blame it on her. After I (she) selected the cardstock I trimmed 1/2 off 2 sides of the vellum and used my spray adhesive to mount it to the cardstock. My spray adhesive is way old and spits and sputters so unfortunately I got some blotches that show through but no it ain't no big thing. After the background was done it was just a matter of arranging the layout and finding a way to incorporate some texture and the alcohol inks. I had some trouble incorporating the inks ...I tried adding splashes of color around the pics but they were more blotches than splashes and after about an hour of struggling I decided to give up that idea. It looked so bad I actually replaced the vellum with a new sheet (lucky I had 2). So after I gave up on the alchohol inks I worked on adding the texture which was so much easier...just ran some polka dot paper (love me some polka dots) through my papercrimper and voila ...a fabtastic border. Finished tweaking the arrangement and glued it all down and added a title and journanling and some super adorable embellishments and I was done...well almost. After I added the title ...those fabulous glossy thickers...I figured out a way to incorporate some alcohol ink!!! I realized since the letters were glossy I could add some oomph to them by sponging a slightly darker shade on the letters...it's super subtle...but hey it counts!!!
Stayed tuned...I'll be posting day 4's projects super soon.